1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter, students must write a character biography, no more than one (1) page, that explores their favorite Roald Dahl character. Students may choose to write about any character that appears in any book written by Roald Dahl. The writer is free to choose how the entry is formatted, including font size and spacing. Each entry must include student, teacher, and school names; grade; and school address and phone number. Entries must be mailed to: Roald Dahl Character Biography Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY, 10013-0714. Entries must be received by October 3, 2013. No other means of entry accepted.
2. Winners will be selected based on creativity, clarity of thought, and execution. Winners will be notified on or about November 14, 2013. Scholastic Inc. (“Sponsor”) is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, postage-due, incomplete, or illegible entries or mail.
3. Contest is open to students attending U.S. schools in grades 3 through 5 who are legal residents of the United States. Employees, and members of their families living in the same household, of Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries, brokers, distributors, dealers, retailers, affiliates, and their respective advertising, promotion, and production agencies (collectively, the “related entities”) are not eligible to enter. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. One entry per person.
4. There will be one (1) Grand-Prize Winner who will receive an all-expense-paid trip for the winner and his/her parent/legal guardian to New York City to attend a performance of Matilda the Musical on Broadway. Date of travel will be determined by Scholastic in coordination with the winner. Trip includes round-trip coach airfare for the winner and the winner’s parent or legal guardian from the major commercial airport closest to winner's residence (winner and guest must travel together on same itinerary); one (1) night hotel accommodations; ground transportation while in New York City; and $300 spending money. (Approximate retail value of this prize is $2,000.) Actual value of prize trip may vary depending on winner’s residence and seasonal rates. All expenses not specified above, including, without limitation, all federal, state, and local taxes and international tariffs, are the winner’s sole responsibility.
There will be ten (10) Runner-Up Winners who will receive a Roald Dahl Library. (Approximate retail value of this prize is $75.)
5. Grand-Prize Winner and his or her guest, as a condition of entry, agree to release Sponsor, each prize provider in this contest, and their respective related entities from any and all liability for injuries or damages of any kind sustained through participation in this contest and/or use of a prize once accepted.
6. No cash substitutions, transfers, or assignments of prizes allowed, except by Sponsor in case of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. All matters relating to this contest shall be subject to Sponsor’s sole discretion, and Sponsor’s decisions shall be final and binding on all entrants and the winner and his or her guest. The winner and his/her guest will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within five (5) days of notification attempt, or an alternate winner may be selected. By accepting the prize, the winner and his or her guest grant to Sponsor the right to use winner’s name, likeness, hometown, biographical information, and entry for purposes of advertising and promotion without further notice or compensation, except where prohibited by law. Winner may also be asked to attend and participate in media and/or public relations events (the “Media Events”) designated by Sponsor and prize provider and/or requested by various media outlets. Upon Sponsor’s request, and subject to winner’s availability, the winner agrees to participate in such Media Events without any further compensation. By accepting the prize, winner agrees to release Sponsor, prize provider, and their respective related entities, and hold each of them harmless, from any claims relating to their participation or non-participation in any Media Events.
7. The names of the prizewinners (available after November 14, 2013) will be listed on the Sponsor website at scholastic.com/clubcontests. You may also obtain the list of winners by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to Winners List, Roald Dahl Character Biography Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY, 10013-0714, by January 7, 2014.
Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012