1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter, students must create an original book cover that represents the student’s idea for a back-to-school Magic Tree House story starring the characters Annie and Jack. The cover should include all the elements normally associated with a book cover, i.e. title, author, illustrator, etc. Students may use any medium they wish in creating the cover, though the final entry should be no larger than 11" x 14". Each entry must include student, teacher, and school names; grade; and school address and phone number. Entries must be mailed to: Magic Tree House: Create a Back-to-School Cover Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY 10013-0714. Entries must be received by October 23, 2014. No other means of entry accepted.
2. Winners will be selected based on the equally weighted criteria of originality, creativity, and execution. Winners will be notified on or about November 20, 2014. Scholastic Book Clubs, Inc. (“Sponsor”) is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, postage-due, incomplete, or illegible entries or mail.
3. Contest is open to students attending U.S. schools in grades 2 and 3 who are legal residents of the United States. Employees, and members of their families living in the same household, of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, brokers, distributors, dealers, retailers, affiliates, and their respective advertising, promotion, and production agencies (collectively, the “related entities”) are not eligible to enter. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. One entry per person.
4. There will be one (1) Grand-Prize Winner who will receive a Virtual Classroom Visit from Author Mary Pope Osborne. The date of Skype session will be determined by Scholastic in coordination with the winner and Ms. Osborne. (Approximate retail value of this prize is $100.)
There will be ten (10) Runners-Up who will receive two Magic Tree House Libraries including books #1 through #48, one library for home and one for the winner’s school. (Approximate retail value of this prize is $50.)
5. Winners, as a condition of entry, agree to release Sponsor, each prize provider in this contest, and their respective related entities from any and all liability for injuries or damages of any kind sustained through participation in this contest and/or use of a prize once accepted.
6. No cash substitutions, transfers, or assignments of prizes allowed, except by Sponsor in case of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. All matters relating to this contest shall be subject to Sponsor’s sole discretion, and Sponsor’s decisions shall be final and binding on all entrants and the winner and his or her guest. The winner will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within five (5) days of notification attempt or an alternate winner may be selected. By accepting the prize, the winner grants to Sponsor the right to use winner’s name, likeness, hometown, biographical information, and entry for purposes of advertising and promotion without further notice or compensation, except where prohibited by law. Winner may also be asked to attend and participate in media and/or public relations events (the “Media Events”) designated by Sponsor and prize provider and/or requested by various media outlets. Upon Sponsor’s request, and subject to winner’s availability, the winner agrees to participate in such Media Events without any further compensation. By accepting the prize, winner agrees to release Sponsor, prize provider, and their respective related entities and hold each of them harmless from any claims relating to their participation or non-participation in any Media Events.
7. The names of the prizewinners (available after December 4, 2014) will be listed on the Sponsor website at: scholastic.com/clubcontests. You may also obtain the list of winners by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Winners List, Magic Tree House: Create a Back-to-School Cover Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY 10013-0714, by January 8, 2015.
Sponsor: Scholastic Book Clubs, Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012