1. HOW TO ENTER. To enter Scholastic's Middle Schoolers: "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" Contest (the "Contest"), entrant must write an essay, no more than two (2) 8 ½" x 11" pages, exploring a moment in which the entrant felt he or she acted courageously ("Essay"). Because "courage" can be defined in many ways—physical, emotional, or mental, for example—it is entirely at the discretion of the writer as to how he or she wishes to define it. The font size and spacing are the choice of the writer. Each entry must include entrant's full name, entrant's teacher's full name, and entrant's school name, grade, school address, and phone number. Entries must be mailed to: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY 10013-0714. Entries must be received by October 17, 2013. No other means of entry accepted. Scholastic Book Clubs, Inc. ("Sponsor") is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, postage due, incomplete, or illegible entries or e-mail entries, and all rights in winning entries will become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Lions Gate Films Inc. ("Lionsgate") is not responsible for the collection of entries, the administration of the Contest, or the fulfillment of prizes.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Only legal U.S. residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are enrolled in grades 6‒12 at the time of entry are eligible to enter. Officers, directors, members, and employees of Sponsor, Lionsgate, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, brokers, affiliates, distributors, dealers, retailers, advertising, promotion, and production agencies and each of their immediate family members and/or people living in the same household are not eligible to enter or win Contest. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Limit one (1) entry per person. Children will need permission from their parent/legal guardian in order to enter the contest. A parental or legal guardian signature along with the date on the back of the entry will constitute parental/legal guardian consent.
3. JUDGING CRITERIA. On or about November 1, 2013, a panel of judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will select one (1) Grand Prize Winner and ten (10) First Prize Winners (collectively, the "Winners") with the highest scoring Essay from among all eligible entries based on the following criteria:
4. WINNER NOTIFICATION. Each potential Winner will be notified by telephone and/or mail and/or e-mail using the contact information provided at the time of entry. Sponsor shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted, or not received by a potential winner for any reason. If, despite reasonable efforts, a potential Prize Winner does not respond within forty-eight (48) hours of the first notification attempt, or if a prize or prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to such potential Prize Winner, such potential Prize Winner will forfeit the applicable prize and an alternate Prize Winner may be selected. If any potential Prize Winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines the applicable prize for any reason prior to award, such potential Prize Winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected. Sponsor may successively attempt to contact up to two (2) potential Prize Winners in accordance with such procedure, and if there is still no confirmed Prize Winner after such attempts have been made, if any, the applicable prize may go unawarded.
5. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES. Each entrant (and his/her parent/legal guardian) represents and warrants as follows: (i) the Essay is the entrant's own original, previously unpublished, and previously unproduced work; (ii) the Essay is wholly original, and as of the date of submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (iii) the Essay does not and will not violate or infringe upon the intellectual property rights or other rights of any third party; and (iv) the Essay does not and will not violate any applicable laws and is not and will not be defamatory or libelous. Each entrant (and his/her parent/legal guardian) hereby agrees to indemnify and hold Sponsor, Lionsgate, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates and the officers, directors, members, employees, and agents of each (collectively, the "Promotion Entities") harmless from and against any and all claims, actions, or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements of entrant hereunder.
6. GENERAL CONDITIONS TO PARTICIPATION. Each entrant acknowledges that many ideas may be competitive with, similar, or identical to entrant's Essay and/or each other in theme, idea, format, or other respects. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that such entrant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Sponsor's choice of any such similar or identical material. Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant's consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable, assignable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Essay in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes and constitutes permission for the Promotion Entities to use entrant's name, photograph, likeness, voice, biographical information, statements, and address (city and state) for advertising and/or publicity purposes worldwide and in all forms of media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, without further compensation. If requested, entrant will sign documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Essay or any portion thereof.
7. One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive a (i) round-trip coach-class airfare for the Grand Prize Winner and one (1) parent/legal guardian between the major airport that is nearest to the Grand Prize Winner and Los Angeles; (ii) one (1) night hotel accommodations (unless an additional night is required due to travel constraints) for the Grand Prize Winner and his or her parent/legal guardian at a hotel to be selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion (one  room, double occupancy); (iii) ground transportation between the airport and the hotel; (iv) two (2) tickets to the premiere of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire the (“Premiere”) in Los Angeles, CA, for the Grand Prize Winner and his or her parent/legal guardian; and (v) Three Hundred U.S. Dollars (U.S. $300.00) spending money. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of this prize is $2,000.
Ten (10) First-Prize Winners will receive a Suzanne Collins Library. ARV: $100.
GRAND PRIZE WINNER MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY HIS/HER PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN. PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN MUST BE EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. IF PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN IS UNABLE TO ACCOMPANY THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER, AN ALTERNATE GRAND PRIZE WINNER WILL BE SELECTED. The Grand Prize Trip is currently anticipated to take place between November 18, 2013, and November 19, 2013, but the final dates shall be selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion and are subject to the date of the premiere. If the Grand Prize Winner is unable to participate in the Grand Prize Trip during the dates set forth by Sponsor, the Grand Prize will be forfeited in its entirety. In the event that the premiere listed in the Grand Prize description does not or cannot take place as scheduled or at all, for reasons included but not limited to scheduling conflicts, cancellations, postponement, an event of “Force Majeure” (defined below), or for any other reason, then in lieu of the premiere, the Grand Prize Winner will receive the remaining components, if any, of the Grand Prize, which shall constitute full satisfaction of Sponsor’s prize obligation to the Grand Prize Winner, and no other or additional compensation will be awarded.
In the event a Grand Prize Winner’s residence is close enough to Los Angeles, CA, such that air transportation is deemed by Sponsor in its sole discretion to be unnecessary, the Grand Prize will not include air transportation and no other substitution or compensation will be provided in lieu thereof. The Grand Prize Winner and his or her parent/legal guardian must travel together on the same itinerary and must possess all required travel documents, including visas and valid passports, if and as applicable, and comply with any applicable hotel check-in requirements, such as presentation of a major credit card. All aspects of the travel portions of the Grand Prize must be conducted on such dates as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The dates of departure and return are subject to change at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Airfare may not include government taxes, Passenger Facility Charge, or September 11 Security Fee. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for upgrades and/or frequent flyer miles. Other travel restrictions and blackout dates may apply. All airline tickets are subject to the vagaries of flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. The ARV for travel prizes may vary depending upon points of departure and destination and fare fluctuations. Sponsor reserves the right to structure travel routes and select hotels in its sole discretion. The ARV for travel prizes is an estimate made before the Contest begins. The Grand Prize Winner will not receive cash or any other form of compensation if actual travel costs are less than the estimate made in these Official Rules. The round-trip air transportation element for any travel prize begins and ends at the point of departure. No interest will be awarded on cash prizes. All other charges and other hotel fees are not included and if applicable may be payable at the time of checkout by the winner/travel companion. A deposit or payment in advance, or presentation of a credit card by the Grand Prize Winner, may be required at the time of check-in at the hotel. Any hotel cancellations or changes to hotel reservations after confirmation must be made with the hotel directly, and the Grand Prize Winner is solely responsible for any charges and/or fees arising from changes made directly with the hotel. The prize restrictions/conditions stated herein are not all-inclusive and the Grand Prize described above may be subject to additional restrictions/conditions, which may be stated in the “Prize Claim Documents” (as defined below) and/or other travel documents. In the event the Grand Prize Winner and/or his or her parent/legal guardian engages in behavior that, as determined by Sponsor or its designee in their sole discretion, is obnoxious or threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person, Sponsor and/or its designee reserves the right to remove the Grand Prize Winner and his or her parent/legal guardian from the premiere with no further compensation. Seating at the premiere is at the sole discretion of the Sponsor or its designee. Premiere tickets are strictly non-transferable and will not be replaced if lost or stolen.
The Promotion Entities make no warranties, and hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning any prize furnished in connection with the Contest. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SUCH PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND THE PROMOTION ENTITIES HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
8. GRANT OF RIGHTS. For good and valuable consideration, the receipt and legal sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, each entrant into the Contest (and his or her parent or legal guardian) hereby irrevocably grants Sponsor, its successors and assigns, a non-exclusive license (but not the obligation) to reproduce, publicly perform, exploit, and otherwise use the Essay throughout the universe, in perpetuity, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to the advertising, marketing, publicity, and promotional purposes, throughout the universe in perpetuity, without further notice to, consent by, or payment to entrant. Without in any way limiting the foregoing, Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, modify, or make derivatives of the Essay for any purpose which Sponsor deems necessary or desirable, and each entrant irrevocably waives any and all so-called moral rights they may have therein. Sponsor shall have the right to freely assign its rights hereunder, in whole or in part, to any person or entity. Sponsor shall retain the rights granted in each Essay even if the Essay is disqualified or fails to meet the guidelines contained herein.
9. Winners, and the parent/legal guardian of the Grand Prize Winner, as a condition of entry, agree to release the Promotion Entities from any and all liability for injuries or damages of any kind sustained through participation in this contest and/or use of a prize once accepted.
10. No cash substitutions, transfers, or assignments of prizes allowed, except by Sponsor in case of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. All matters relating to this contest shall be subject to Sponsor's sole discretion and Sponsor's decisions shall be final and binding on all entrants and the winners and the parent/legal guardian of the Grand Prize Winner. The Grand Prize Winner and his/her parent/legal guardian will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release ("Prize Claim Documents") within three (3) days of notification attempt or an alternate winner may be selected. Winners may also be asked to attend and participate in media and/or public relations events (the "Media Events") designated by Sponsor, prize provider, and/or requested by various media outlets. Upon Sponsor's request, and subject to winners' availability, the winners agree to participate in such Media Events without any further compensation. By accepting the prize, winners agree to release the Promotion Entities and hold each of them harmless, from any claims relating to their participation or non-participation in any Media Events. Sponsor shall have the right to freely assign its rights hereunder, in whole or in part, to any person or entity.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest, or to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person, and the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor reserves the right to modify, extend, suspend, or terminate the Contest if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the Contest is technically impaired or corrupted or that fraud, failures, or other causes beyond the Sponsor's control have destroyed or severely undermined or impaired the integrity, administration, security, proper play, and/or feasibility of the Contest as contemplated herein. In the event an insufficient number of eligible entries are received and/or Sponsor is prevented from awarding prizes or continuing with the Contest as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, natural or man-made epidemic of health or other means, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared, or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, public health crisis, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor's control (each a "Force Majeure" event or occurrence), then subject to any governmental approval which may be required, Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, extend, or terminate the Contest. Only the type and quantity of prizes described in these Official Rules will be awarded. These Official Rules cannot be modified or amended in any way except in a written document issued in accordance with law by a duly authorized representative of Sponsor. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
11. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these official rules or the rights and obligations of entrants or sponsor in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of New York without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state's laws, and all disputes and claims arising in connection with the Contest shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts sitting in New York County, New York, and waive any defense of lack of personal jurisdiction or inconvenient forum.
12. The names of the Winners (available after November 5, 2013) will be listed on the Sponsor's website at www.scholastic.com/clubcontests. You may also obtain a winners list by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Winners List, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY 10013-0714, by January 7, 2014.
Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
Motion Picture Artwork © 2013 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.